Sunday, March 18, 2012

"I'm Too Busy"

So we all say it. We all say it all the time. Not that it isn't true of course...we are all very busy creatures; we all go to school, go to work, need to do this, and need to do that. We're supposed to clock in this much studying, this much scripture reading/prayer, that much exercise, that much dating. And it's IMPOSSIBLE! Have you noticed that? There were several comical days last week where I literally ran everywhere I went because I had no time for even the commute. I LITERALLY ran to my review session and then ran to a Brain Awareness Week meeting after which I ran to my car and madly drove to my MCAT prep course and then ran to the library. This semester is jam-packed and there is no indication that it is going to slow down. Reading this article from this blog, however, has helped me gain a new perspective on my so called 'busy' lifestyle.

I'm actually not a busy as I claim, really not very many people are. I spend at LEAST two hours a day inefficiently. That adds up to a whopping 14 hours a week (or also known as the time I'm supposed to be dedicating to studying for the MCAT). And honestly, most of my 'busy-ness' is self-imposed. I choose to be an officer in the Neuroscience Club, I choose to make all those unnecessary decoration for that Bridal Shower, and I definitely choose to go to that St. Patrick's party at the Covey Mansion. I wouldn't have it any other way. I love efficiency and productivity. I love feeling like my time isn't going to waste. I love always having something to do.

The end of the article hit me the hardest: "Instead of saying "I don't have time" try saying "it's not a priority," and see how that feels. Often, that's a perfectly adequate explanation. I have time to iron my sheets, I just don't want to. But other things are harder. Try it: "I'm not going to edit your résumé, sweetie, because it's not a priority." "I don't go to the doctor because my health is not a priority." If these phrases don't sit well, that's the point. Changing our language reminds us that time is a choice. If we don't like how we're spending an hour, we can choose differently."

I'm dedicating myself to changing my language. Not only will it help me better prioritize better, but I believe it will reduce the stress of feeling like there isn't enough time and that it will open me up to opportunities to serve. Am I so busy that I can't serve others? Never.

No comments:

Post a Comment